Sunday 22 September 2013

She started the day as my boss...


Today's blog was supposed to be about German beers. No joke - I have more than a dozen of Munich's best, properly chilled in the fridge. Ready to go... all set...
But of course, as soon as I have a plan, Life often goes, "Hahahaha... that's cute, Donny, frikkin' adorable, actually... but hang on a sec..."
Is my boss Allison actually the Black Widow in disguise? This is the story
of the day she started as my boss... and finished it as something else entirely.

Friday changed my blog plans. Actually, Friday changed a lot of things. There were five of us on hand at the Beer Store. Me, the senior fulltimer Gordie, young Katie, senior part-timer Andrew (a.k.a. Saga because he's from Wasaga Beach) and finally, our boss, Allison. Well, she started the day as our boss. That too would change.

It started like any other Friday... busy as hell. Then something happened in the mid-afternoon... something big. One of our regulars, a Town of Oakville worker, came in for his usual two "suitcases" (24-cans) of Carling Light.
Throw a brunette wig over her curly blonde hair
and maybe Allison is actually Wonder Woman?
He didn't even make it to his truck. Whether it was a heart attack or a stroke (we still don't know), he keeled over face-first into the asphalt 10 feet from his truck. None of us saw it. But a panicked customer came flying in, screaming to call 911.
Now this guy is about my height - 5-foot-11, maybe an inch or two shorter - but where I weigh 180 pounds, he must clock in at 360 pounds, probably more. When he hit the ground hard, I mean very hard!
So while Saga was busy answering infinite questions with 911, Allison and a customer, who happened to be a family doctor, took off to help him.
At first, there was some question as to whether to flip him over onto his back. Several onlookers suggested that was a bad move.

Then Allison simply took over. In a voice that could command a Greek God, she barked, "If we don't turn him over, he's dead! Now help us turn him over onto his back NOW!"
When they got him flipped over, I recoiled in horror. His face was very purple and covered with blood... a huge pool of it now laying beneath his head.... and his lips an even darker purple. He was not breathing. I was looking at a dead man. And then she went to work, pumping his chest. Hard. Really hard. For what seemed an eternity.
"Please... No paparazzi! Just a superhero doing her job..."
That said, man, Nick Fury would have been pretty proud

The balance of us fell into different roles. Gordie took Traffic Control, diverting cars to an adjacent parking lot so EMS and the firefighters could get into ours. Perfect for Gordo because he doesn't do well with... uhhh, humans. (Bazinga!) Saga and Katie went back in to run the store while I took Crowd Control out front, letting people know what was going down and ushering them as quickly as I could into the store.

Finally, we heard the sirens of the firefighters, EMS and the police. I have NEVER been so happy to hear those sounds in my life! Quickly, the EMS and firefighters took over, pumping his heart and using the Defibrillator. (I counted, I think, at least three times...)

And to our collective relief, they finally got a pulse. So they got him on a stretcher and spirited him away to the hospital. At this point, we still don't know his condition.
Actually, it's Donny's Bar and Grill
but hey, close enough...

 We all drifted back into the store but one thing was clear. We were all in shock, walking around in a daze. The family doctor, who I was in the middle of serving when it all came down, told me that without Allison's efforts, the man would have died on the spot. The head paramedic on the scene came back long after we'd finished our shifts and told Saga the same thing. He wasn't breathing for a while... but hey, where there's life, there's hope, right?

Allison started that shift as our boss - a hard enough job as it is because we are one unruly group of thugs. She finished that shift, as far as me and everyone else on staff is concerned, as a bonafide hero. She saved a man's life. I watched her do it.
David says: "Allison's like a superhero! Like
when I was Wolverine, right?" That's right!

That night, we five all landed still dazed at Donny's Bar and Grill, just to hash out the day's events. It was like a big puzzle and we all had pieces... but no one person had them all. So we pieced together the day, discovering from each other new bits of info. It was like therapy... but with beer and pizza. I think it helped. Allison, of course, balked at being called a hero, wondering if there wasn't more she could have done. But hey, as far as I'm concerned, that's the hallmark of a real hero - they either don't realize or believe they are one.

And my son David's reaction was the best. When I picked him up today, he asked (as he always does) how Allison was doing. I got to tell him that she was a hero and saved a man's life. He just lit up! "Wow!" he exclaimed. "Allison's a superhero! Just like when I was Wolverine, right?" That's right, buddy.

And that, kids, is the story of How I Met Your Moth... wait, wrong show... How My Boss Became A Hero.

Okay, shout-outs. I gotta start with blog brother Stevil St Evil because he created ALL of the above Allison-As-A-Superhero pics for me last night. Plus a few of Allison as Power Girl that were too risque to use... but Allison thought they were hilarious. He hasn't written a fresh blog in a bit but here's a classic of his called: Dr Who's On First And then, of course, there's Glenn in da Shwa. His last one was linked to in my last blog so I went into his archive and found a perfect one for this blog. We'll call it: Superman Daredevil and the Fan-Boys

The next blog is about beer. I promise. Until then I remain...

6 comments: