Monday 10 November 2014

Drivers' theories and Sandi's French finds

Toronto Maple Leaf star Phil Kessel whoops it up after
scoring a goal. According to one driver, the better the
Maple Leafs do, the better his brewery and local bars do!

One of the coolest aspects of my job at the Beer Store is talking to the brewery delivery drivers. To a man, they all love to talk which works well for me because I love to ask questions - about their brewery, other breweries, secrets within the brewing industry. Granted, except for a select few, none of them know my Journalism background and, well, thirst about learning new (and sometimes secret) things about my favourite subject in Adult Day School - Everything Beer-And-Brewery-Related.

But last week's Molson driver, who I've seen a few times, had an interesting hockey-Molson's theory. I wish I could tell you his name - we introduced ourselves over a year ago and while he remembers my name, I have forgotten his. Now we're past the point where I can ask him his name because it's embarrassing to admit I've forgotten it. This happens to me often in real life, too. So when I see him once every few months, I happily chirp, "Dude! How are you? Been a while!" And away we go. But the last time he was in, my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs were in the middle of a three-game winning streak and even as a Detroit Red Wing fan, that made him happy... which is bloody odd.
Well, Newcastle Brown Ale's motto is
"No bollocks!" and in this case, they are
correct. They are most definitely between
the Sly Fox Pilsner and the Sawtooth Ale
In Canada, you do not cheer for another man's team. But he noted that the Leafs' success helped his brewery. Why is that, I asked? "Because when the Leafs are winning, people head out to the bars in large groups to watch the game and cheer them on, instead of staying home to watch the game." Since many bars are heavily Molson-oriented on tap, that helps his brewery too, he noted, as well as the bar industry itself. "I think what I like best is that a Leaf winning streak really helps the smaller, local, mom-and-pop bars. Those are the ones you want to see thrive," he added. Molson's is pretty much the "official beer" of every Canadian NHL team so that's a pretty interesting theory and upon reflection, one that's actually quite believable. So that Red Wing fan taught this Leaf fan something new. For the first time in history. Yeah, the other Red Wing fans I know? I'm happy they can tie their shoes and I know for a fact, some of them use velcro fasteners. Just sayin'...

There are other aspect of work I enjoy, such as the fact Human Resources constantly monitors my behaviour to rewrite the rule book on appropriate work behaviour. The last one - "Use of the shoulder-height jerk-off motion to mock someone is now strictly prohibited." I tell you, I feel like I've won an award every time! But hey, let's keep this to the beloved brewery drivers. Vince, my main man from Steam Whistle, is always a welcome visitor. With his long curly red hair and shock-red beard, I call him the Ginger Jesus. Great guy who brings his dog, "Paul from Shipping" on his rounds in the truck cab.
When Sandi visited a Quebec Depanneur
store to buy me some beer, the clerk
suggested the Le Castor Brewing's India
Session Ale and their Pit Caribou Black
IPA. Mr Store Clerk, I salute you, sir!!!
Vince and his girlfriend recently returned from a two-week European vacation, stopping in Germany for a bit of Oktoberfest and then off to the Czech Republic. So what does the Steam Whistle driver and drinker imbibe while in Europe? "Pretty much the same German and Czech beers you sell here," he noted, "except they're way better over there." And why would that be, I asked. "Well, the European beers you sell spends weeks on a boat getting to North America and then gets tied up at Customs and after that, has to be distributed across the countries over more weeks. Over there, I'm drinking it on tap and it probably landed in the bar directly from the brewery the day before. It's as fresh as it gets."

I think Vince hit the spigot on the head. My co-worker Saga and I had a theory after he returned from France, where ironically he is visiting as we speak. He absolutely loved the Kronenbourg 1664 over there. When he returned, he bought some here and didn't enjoy it nearly as much. Our theory at the time was that European brewers changed the exports tastes to suit North American commercial beer drinkers' tastes. We were idiots, especially Saga, who should know better. No one expects intelligent theories from me. I'm far too busy helping rewrite the HR Handbook. It's the freshness factor. But I want to add one more - it's also the fresh draft factor. Case in point, Molson's makes the Rickard line in Canada with the line's biggest seller being Rickards Red. Now I very much love red ales but have never fancied it in bottle or cans, much preferring their porter, Rickards Dark. But if I see it in a bar and it's the best choice, I will drink it happily. Why? To me, it tastes much better as a draft. Why? Beats the hell out of me - maybe because drafts are unpasteurized - but I know this much, it's wayyyy better on tap. There are two things I do not argue with: 1) my tastebuds and 2) every single woman on Earth. I'm smart that way and also a bit cowardly. I don't tempt danger.
There was one thing missing from the Tree
Brewing Jumpin' Jack India Pumpkin Ale.
Something key, actually. The pumpkin taste.
Not saying that's good but hey, also not bad

Okay, let's talk beer. Hmmm, I suppose I have been but let's get to specific beers. Sandi, my upstairs neighbour in the sprawling luxury complex that houses Donny's Bar and Grill, was recently in Quebec and decided to bring me back a couple of beers. After Banff, Alberta, which is nestled in the Rocky Mountains and perhaps the most beautiful town on Earth, my absolute favourite place in Canada is old Quebec City. Not sure Sandi landed anywhere near Quebec City because that's irrelevant. No, the important thing is Sandi got me beer. Remember that travelling readers, your trip has two purposes - 1) enjoy your stay and 2) get Brew-Ha-Ha some beer. Every single travel guide in the world says so. No need to check. It's true. But here's the trick - Sandi is a wine drinker so what can she do to help me? Well, she is also very clever so she enlisted the help of the clerk at the Depanneur store (French for convenience store) to aim her in the right direction, armed simply with the knowledge, "Donny loves him some IPA goodness."

As cartoon cowboy Yosemite Sam would say, great thunderin' horny toads, did she hit the jackpot! She stuck with regional Quebec beers, which is perfect. No point in bringing me home beers I can get here.
Two beers I have been dying to talk about.
So you know what? Let's do exactly that!
La Castor Brewing out of Rigaud, Quebec, certainly has some high scores on RateBeer. So the first one was their Houblon India Session Ale, which clocks in at 4.3%. Out of the gate, this might be the best session IPA I've ever had and I am including the Founders Brewing (Grand Rapids, Michigan) All-Day IPA, the previous champ. Citrus and floral on the nose, the pine and bitterness on the tongue gives this the same punch as a 6-7% IPA. Outstanding brew! Next up was a collaborative effort between Le Castor and Microbrasserie Pit Caribou (Quebec City) with their 7% 30-Cent Black IPA. Black IPAs are notoriously hit-and-miss with me. Yeah, this one hits. Pouring a deep brown rather than black (maybe... I'm colourblind), this is pine and caramel on the nose, more pine and a touch of molasses on the tongue. Certainly a different, lighter kind of Black IPA but one I really enjoyed! So Sandi, thank you - you done good!!! More Quebec breweries are in my sights now, particularly La Castor.

Okay, remember when I had the Nickel Brook Pissed Off Pete's Pumpkin Porter, loved it and said, "Okay, no more pumpkin beers this year! Let's go out on a winning note with this whole stupid pumpkin beer genre"??
How most stupid pumpkin beers make
me feel. It's a very ridiculous beer fad
Yeah, well, I saw the Tree Brewing Jumpin' Jack India Pumpkin Ale and well, a 6.5% pumpkin IPA??? I moved quicker to grab one than a teenage girl untagging herself from an unflattering Facebook photo. It was like Tree Brewing (Kelowna, BC) had me in the sights and said, "Let's screw this dude over." So, okay, two pumpkin beers this year. First thing I noticed? Zero pumpkin on the nose but some certainly nutmeg and cinnamon, key ingredients in pumpkin pie. On the tongue, I got really light pumpkin... but only if I thought of pumpkin. It was that mild. But still some spice and grapefruit on the tongue which, well, kind of null and voids the pumpkin but stays true to the IPA. So in the end, what do we have? A pumpkin beer that I don't wanna pour down the drain (like most) but one that wasn't, well, all that pumpkiny. (Look at me, inventing words.)

Okay, two more that both co-worker Marie and I both quaffed from our friends at Hop City Brewing in Brampton - their Big Mouth Tap Room Pale Ale and their Lawn Chair Classic Weisse wheat beer. These are decent offerings, certainly (RateBeer marks be damned). The problem with the Big Mouth is that Ontario has so many outstanding craft brewery pale ales that you really have to bring your A-Game. This doesn't. I like it but... Light floral and orange on the nose, mild fruit on the tongue, it's not gonna bowl you over. The Lawn Chair was a better effort, I thought, with banana and herbs on the nose and light fruit on the tongue. It won't knock out a heavy hitter like Underdog Brewery's (Oshawa) All or Nothing Hopfenweisse but a solid summery wheat beer. This one both Marie and I quite enjoyed.

Okay, next up is some Nickel Brook shenanigans, an answer to the question "Does Guinness brew other beers?", what Sassy Cassy brought me from Thunder Bay, what Marie brought me from Walkerville Brewery and why the beer I'm having right now tastes a lot like I'm gonna text you later. But, guys and dolls, that's it, that's all and I am outta here!!! Until next time, I remain, as always...

No comments:

Post a Comment